[WikiEN-l] How long does it take to delete an hoax article at en.wp?

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:29:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have found that in practice obvious hoaxes will die via a snowball
> close, and sometimes an experienced admin will simply ignore all rules
> kill it out of hand.   I think that's the right thing to do.
>
> If contrary evidence shows up it's easy enough to rewrite or
> resurrect, whereas presence of an article in Wikipedia may have a
> disproportionate effect on how the hoax fares.

Contrary evidence sometimes only shows up if it gets the eyeballs at
AfD (a venue with people who are experienced at sniffing out the truth
of a matter in the sources), rather than at ANI (a venue with a
different reputation).

And an article being up for 7 days with a big AfD notice on it
shouldn't affect how it fares in the real world. Most articles are in
the Google cache before they get to AfD, and sometimes even before
they are speedied.

Carcharoth