[WikiEN-l] Bulk upload on Commons

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:25:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really a Commons question, but...why is so little effort made
> to promote bulk upload tools like Commonist? I've wasted countless
> hours struggling with the crappy web forms, when it's so easy to do
> using the right tool. None of the upload pages make the slightest
> mention of these tools. Is this by design or just not thought out?
>
> Steve

As with most such things, it's surely the latter. But do we want to
encourage mass uploads? I thought people were already rather unhappy
with so much fair use and copyvios and poor quality uploads (these
were the cited reasons for not moving all non-fairuse on en to
Commons), and promotion of tools would necessarily encourage use by
non-savvy users...

--
gwern