[WikiEN-l] assessing

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 11 12:37:22 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
>  Realistically, I think we're really
> only approaching the end of the middle of the initial stage. By which I
> mean the initial stage is to get as much written about as much as we can
> as possible.
I'd put it this way: the business of "flagged revisions" indicates a
feeling that (for a physical book) would be that we have a "first
draft", and should proceed editorially rather than magpie-fashion.

 >At the end of the day we're a work
> in progress, and while it is great that the world wants to take us
> seriously, and it is important that we take ourselves seriously, we have
> to keep getting across the message that we are a work in progress, and
> our articles should never be used as a definitive source, but rather a
> pointer to a better understanding. Or something.

That's OK as a caveat, but I think Carcharoth's point is also valid:
that the "working over" of parts of the encyclopedia doesn't happen for
top-down reason, necessarily. While it is essential for "adding value"
that it should happen, even if only patchily. This has always implied
people with a serious interest in the actual content ... doesn't imply
that the formal review mechanisms should dominate.

Charles