[WikiEN-l] Another Media and Wikipedia blackout on NYT reporter in Afghanistan

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Sep 10 13:25:11 UTC 2009

> Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> Something I'd like to know before considering this as a potential
>>> compromise is whether the Foundation would simply censor WikiNews in
>>> exactly the same way.
>>
>> Any responsible journalist will.
>
> That doesn't answer the question. I wasn't asking about journalists of
> whatever particular type you consider "responsible" or not, I was
> specifically asking if the Foundation would censor WikiNews in the same
> way as has been done to Wikipedia. My point is that if the answer here
> is yes, the suggestion that "Investigative Journalism should go to
> WikiNews" isn't going to be useful in this case.

Whatever happens at WikiNews should be responsible just as any other
media is. If posting something on Wikipedia is harmful, it will be
harmful there too. The question is how to make such judgments reasonably
well, and not evoke such considerations in inappropriate circumstances.
That is what the Foundation does in such cases, they pass information on
from outside sources that are knowledgeable about the situation.

Fred