[WikiEN-l] Another Media and Wikipedia blackout on NYT reporter in Afghanistan

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Sep 10 02:12:41 UTC 2009

> Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> We are supposed to be community-driven.
>>> Where is the community consensus on media blackouts?
>>> Link please.
>>
>> Interesting, as there is a consensus. It just isn't written down. Do no
>> harm; any problem with that?
>
> At the very least consensus can't be said to be obvious on this, IMO.
> The "we should conceal information that could potentially harm people"
> argument didn't hold much weight in the recently-concluded Rorschach
> Wars.

I didn't follow that, but I suspect they've been out there for a long
time. And using the same blots for decades is absurd anyway.

I think there are universal principles that we follow. Failures in one
instance or another is to be expected.

A pope having a wife and family does not negate the principles of
Christianity.

Fred