[WikiEN-l] Another Media and Wikipedia blackout on NYT reporter in Afghanistan

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:24:42 UTC 2009

2009/9/9 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:

> Actually, no, that is a throw-away. But we do need to get a little
> smarter. We might have something come up that is a bit more serious.

I think there's actually not much we need to do. The most recent case
was entirely covered by BLP: be extremely conservative about
potentially extremely harmful information.

We're an encyclopedia, not investigative journalism - we have wikinews
for that. If we wait a few days until we're absolutely sure and there
are really good and reliable sources, that's fine. Once it's all over
the media, it's not our problem; when it isn't, it shouldn't be in the
article.

People shouting "censorship!" have mistaken the encyclopedia for a
venue for investigative journalism.

- d.