[WikiEN-l] "Well known"

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 9 10:12:45 UTC 2009

Steve Bennett wrote:
> "Most well known" or
> "best known"? Whichever one is currently in the article. Focus your
> efforts elsewhere.

Hey, this is an amusing topic ...

Example for a beer-tasting FAQ (about American lagers):

*Budweiser, Coors, and Miller are the most well-known bad examples of
this style. ... There is almost no difference in taste from brand to
brand, especially after five or six.

And our own MoS says to avoid expressions like:

*Among the most well-known members of the fraternity include ...

But sadly it is objecting to the two "subset terms".

I still think it is a potential good indicator of poor style. Anyway,
pursuing it got me into an area needing attention, including what is now
[[first date (meeting)]].

Charles