[WikiEN-l] New way to discourage newcomers invented

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:31:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Charles Matthews <
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Apoc 2400 wrote:
> > Isn't it time to be honest with ourselves and nominate "Wikipedia is not
> > bureaucracy" for deletion?
> >
> "Bureaucracy" is a fairly helpful description of how Wikipedia actually
> functions, as far as management style is concerned. Decisions are taken
> according to practice that has been codified to some extent (in some
> areas, to a large extent). If you want to get something done, knowing
> where to go and how to apply is at least half the battle. But my reading
> of WP:BURO would make the comment "A procedural error made in posting
> anything, such as a proposal or nomination, is not grounds for
> invalidating that post" central to its intention. I say we don't delete
> that.
>
> Charles

Wikipedia has no "management style" because there are no managers. We should
not be a bureaucracy in any sense of the word.

That is the point of WP:BURO. It's not that "We are a bureaucracy, but if
you cut some corners we'll look the other way." That's not what it says at
all. It says "We are NOT a bureaucracy" and so "Knowing where to go" should
be much, MUCH less than half the "battle" of contributing to Wikipedia.

- causa sui