[WikiEN-l] WP and Deep Web, was Re: Age fabrication and original research

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:19:04 UTC 2009

Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> WP:SOHE being the page that you wrote recently:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sourcehelpers
> Did you not think of trying to make Wikipedia:WikiProject Resource
> Exchange more active, rather than starting a new page and a new
> proposal?

I thought about it. Different concept though, and with too many
bottlenecks. "Near identical" may have been overstated. Newer ideas
will have to avoid those same bottlenecks, and that's why I wrote up a
draft for a new idea. In certain ways we have to be open and openly
helpful about not just collaborative writing, but collaborative
source-finding. To some that seems to mean swinging from the
Britannica ideal toward the Google/PirateBay direction. I little bit
perhaps, but not all the way.

And the "encyclopedia" (WP:ENC) characterization is way overstated
anyway. Wikipedia's philosophy is entirely different from Britannica's
-- which doesn't even have articles about 'paid erection maintainers'
and 'stand-by penis alternates.'  We on the other hand, do.

-Stevertigo
"Nothing we can't shake...