[WikiEN-l] IAR

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:11:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:

> But a great number of people do these things and get away with it
> within the current climate. I can offer examples, if you like. Are
> you're really just saying that IAR allows only the *good* dicks to act
> like dicks?

No. I'm saying IAR ensures that /if/ an admin wishes to act against a
genuinely problematic editor, wikilawyering ("but policy allows what I
did!") won't easy prevent them doing so.

There is a perennial open doorway that says "The wording only goes so far.
The spirit and the benefit of the project trump exact wording". There is a
perennially open doorway that says "even if it hasn't come up before, and
policy is designed to prevent some misconduct that is superficially similar
in some ways, or policy has an unfortunate wording loophole, you can make an
indfividual judgment on it."

In a project where anyone can write wordings, the communal sense of the
spirit of a policy, and its pre-eminence, is quite a significant thing.

FT2