[WikiEN-l] Classic commentary

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 22:39:52 UTC 2009

"The Cunctator" <cunctator at gmail.com>
>> And still people can't spell my username! "cuncTator".

Hm. "[[Fabius Maximus]]' cognomen Cunctator (akin to the English noun
cunctation) means "delayer" in Latin, and refers to his tactics in
deploying the troops during the Second Punic War."

In our defence, the context of scholarship here makes the resemblance
to "cuncation" semantically prominent, the "t" after the "Cunc" has
all the elements of a silent "t," and a kind of built-in cognitive
linguistic variant of AGF tells us you are neither referring to "tater
tots" nor "cun[c]ts," even though the former may be tasty.

-Stevertigo
;-)