[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 2 19:10:29 UTC 2009

David Goodman wrote:
> The deletion of improvable articles
> because the small number of participants at AfD  who are interested
> and willing to rescue them is one of the reasons for people losing the
> interest in Wikipedia.
Counterfactually, suppose you had a team of "universal" researchers you
could assign to work on articles. What relative weight would you give to
various types of work? Out of these, (a) filling in popular redlinks,
(b) working over topic lists from other reference works, (c)
fact-checking and referencing long-standing articles on the site that
really are not shaping up, (d) researching for articles where the
initial submission was clearly under-researched, which seem to you most
important factors in developing the site as a whole? Which, for example,
are going to do most to cure systemic bias? Which are going to help our
reputation in the academic world? Which are going to do most for general
reliability? And which (your point) could have the most impact on the
community?

I kind of feel most thoughtful people long-term on the site have voted
with their feet on these issues. It would be surprising, of course, if
self-assignment of tasks also corresponded to any particular person's
view of the correct allocation of priorities. (Only one of the 20 items
culled from AfD has any historical content, the foolish [[shield-mate]],
only one takes us outside the Anglosphere to the 90% of the world's
population who don't think in English, and so on. You may well be right
that something could be salvaged in some cases by good research. Which
is why I'd like to see the "cost" of diverting people onto such work as
part of the assessment.)

Charles