[WikiEN-l] BBC blog on WSJ study

Carl (CBM) cbm.wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:32:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow-up story from Auntie Beeb:

That BBC story says,

"By contrast, the Wikimedia Foundation counts only people who make
five edits or more as an editor. This gives an editing population of
about one million people across all languages. Of that total, the
English edition of Wikipedia has about 40,000 editors."

This is slightly misleading as it is actually referring to logged-in
users only. I ran some numbers from the database dump. They say that
over the last few months, we have had the following editing rates on
enwiki on a per-month basis:

~600,000 distinct usernames and IP addresses recorded at least 1 edit
~100,000 distinct usernames and IP addresses recorded at least 6 edits
~150,000 distinct usernames recorded at least 1 edit
~42,000 distinct usernames recorded at least 6 edits

Those are all per-month numbers. Logged-out editing is quite significant.

- Carl