[WikiEN-l] BBC blog on WSJ study

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 22:08:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> (1) The re-synthesis of information that goes into creating Wikipedia
> articles often reduces/removes the need to read source news articles,
> without infringing copyright.  The kind of neutral analysis and
> synthesis that Wikipedia does (when its working right) is one of the
> things people used to go to news outlets for.

I agree.

When Wikipedia/Wikinews is at its best it's far better than any *one*
news story. It's a communal, unrobotic aggregator.... it's incredibly
efficient.

Whereas one journalist goes out and inspects a story we're effectively
getting 50 journalists out on the ground... but we're not paying
anything to anyone.

We have articles on "physics", "biology" and so on... but maybe we
shouldn't have articles on one flood instance and keep the world
updated on that.