[WikiEN-l] BBC blog on WSJ study

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:23:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> The news "industry" is in as much a quandary  as the music and film
> industries. It's a model that depends heavily on news as entertainment.
>
> That's a dilemma I discussed in some depth in a post that appears to have
gotten buried, in terms of a conversation with a Washington Post reporter.
"Infotainment" is an example of a safe short term managerial choice for that
industry: it brings readership and keeps the advertisers coming.

Earlier this month my friends were laughing whe NYT actually ran a headline
to assure readers that the world wouldn't end in 2012.  Part of that
laughter enjoyed the absurdity while part of it was nervous for the future
of that newspaper.

-Durova

--
http://durova.blogspot.com/