[WikiEN-l] BLP task force meeting

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Nov 23 20:23:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:29:14 +0000, Giacomo M-Z wrote:

> Troling? what is trolling about pointing out that IRC is not the place to be
> dicusisng Wikipedia policy affairs? Secondly, it may be free now (I have no
> idea), but it certainly was not in the past - ?15 was the figure at one
> time.

For somebody who's always criticizing IRC, you certainly seem to be
quite ignorant of it.  IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a free and open
protocol for real-time discussions, going back to the late 1980s, and
based on an earlier Bitnet Relay protocol that goes back even further
(I remember it from my college days in the '80s).  There are pleny of
entirely free IRC clients (such as the Chatzilla add-on for Firefox);
the Mozilla SeaMonkey browser suite has it built in; and there are
Web interfaces to it using applets.  The servers you connect to are
also free to use.  The only charges that could possibly be involved
are the normal Internet access charges from your ISP, which you would
incur for any sort of Internet use.

As for whether Wikipedia matters ought to be discussed only on-wiki,
lots of people including yourself have, on occasion, chosen other
forums (including this mailing list) to discuss things related to
Wikipedia.  There are many pros and cons of different venues and
media.

--
== Dan ==