[WikiEN-l] The Internet? Bah!

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 16:25:04 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/11/17 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/106554
>>> Linked and digged from a current article. Quite chuckleworthy.
>>>

>> Now that it is what it is, any idiot can look back and say it was
>> obvious what would happen. Far more people got it wrong 15-20 years
>> ago, and I guess its good for a chuckle (especially since this
>> particular writer was so condescending) - but hindsight is as perfect
>> as foresight is rare.
>>

> And at least Clifford Stoll actually knew what the heck he was talking
> about, unlike most media pontificators at the time.
>

> - d.

Amusingly enough I met both Clifford Stoll and Stallman when
they were in the same weight class (I think that dates me).

(RMS has gained some weight, lol)

I shook Stallmans hand in Boston in that early year when even Marvin
Minsky attended a Worldcon, and asked him when HURD would come
out of the closet.

RMS came out with his classic line of not owning crystal balls...

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen