[WikiEN-l] New site for meta-discussion

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:20:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that you misunderstood what he was saying, and then
> harshly criticized what you mistakenly took him to mean. He was asked
> "Can you describe the editorial policy [of wikien.net]?" He replied
> that it would be a relaxed forum for discussion and chitchat, with 'no
> trolling or outing' as a caveat to the relaxed moderating. Nowhere did
> he make a claim about on-wiki (or on-list) problems of trolling or
> outing (outing is making public personal details on someone who edits
> psuedonymously). The background, which you evidently missed, is that
> some non-wiki forums used to discuss Wikipedia expressly allow both
> trolling and outing.

Fair enough, I do appear to have missed part of the conversation. I apologise.

Though the intent may be chivalrous, I still think that splintering is
bad for any community. It's hard to keep up with everything that's
going on.

I'm quite new to the mailing lists and I really hanker for things to
be reined in. For example, I'd prefer that "Foundation" type
announcements were on... well, I was going to say en:wp... but that
would be too hidden from people working on other projects, so maybe on
Meta? And then people could leave comments there.

I do feel that we should follow the Wiki-way.