[WikiEN-l] Ad-free forever?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:30:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> The strategy process is still ongoing and there are a number of
> proposals for adverts. I don't sense they're going to get any traction
> this time. But if the WMF severely lacked funds in future years I
> imagine everyone would start considering them.

Yeah, that's probably a wise position for them to take.

Incidentally, first hand anecdote that different advertising messages
work for different people. Was cruising on the French wikipedia and
there was an ad with a big progress bar, showing the total number of
articles at 12 million (I assume cross all projects), heading towards
25. I was like "yeah, I'd donate to make that happen!" :)

Steve