[WikiEN-l] How friendly are we to Newbies? Create an article as a newbie challenge now paused

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Mon Nov 16 17:10:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Rules lawyering is generally taken to mean an excessively strict and
> pedantic reading of rules often leaning on obscure clauses and
> interpretations to push a preferred outcome contrary to intuitive
> sense and the probable intent of the rule.

I'd say that the probable intent of the rule was to allow a small number
of very unambiguous, very specific, and very obvious cases, which have been
extensively discussed in advance, to be deleted.  Speedy deletion is *not*
meant to delete everything that's delete-worthy.

Adding another case that hasn't been discussed in advance is an attempt to
push it towards deleting anything delete-worthy, which is not what it's
for.