[WikiEN-l] How friendly are we to Newbies? Create an article as a newbie challenge now paused

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:06:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:34 AM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like just more strategic deletionist excusism. There is no
> excuse for anyone giving to destruction a higher value than they do to
> creation.
>
> So now that things are wrapping up, don't forget to hand out some
> merit badges to the 'winners.'  Ostensibly, there is a deletionist who
> stands out from the pack, for whom a specially branded Trout Award
> will do just fine.

WereSpielChequers could have expressed his concerns a bit better here.

It seems that, under the guise of this project, some people are
intentionally writing very low quality articles and then rules-lawyering
over the specific speedy deletion category names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk%3ASeb_az86556&action=historysubmit&diff=325921044&oldid=325918976

There can be a fine line between probing the boundary of new user treatment
and a breaching experiment.