[WikiEN-l] Google blurb generation + Wikipedia = POVpedia

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:05:54 UTC 2009

I've noticed lately that the blurbs Google is generating for Wikipedia
articles not only no longer reflect the article intros (for a long
time they were putting out whatever tripe DMOZ had about the article)
but are now selectively quoting the most opinionated piece of
POV-tripe phrasing that exists in the article.

This seems to be most easily demonstrated with recent movie articles
where google inevitable quotes some loud-mouth reviewer as the blurb
for the article. For example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+box+movie+wikipedia
And it's so rare that a movie is an F. I mean, if it's an F, it
shouldn't even be released." On the topic of the negative reaction to
The Box, Mintz blamed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=District+9+movie+wikipedia
"Sara Vilkomerson of The New York Observer writes, "District 9 is the
most exciting science fiction movie to come along in ages; definitely
the most"

(at least that one attributes it, a lot of the ones I've seen just
seem to cut to the POV)

For a while I thought it was just extracting text beginning at
"Searchterm is something" looking backwards from the end of the
article, but it seems to be more than that. Some older examples where
I've seen this now seem to be returning different results, I don't
know if its a timing thing or just chance.

Anyone know how to influence google's blurb generation to get more
sensible results?