[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia fundraising slogans from identi.ca and Twitter

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 23:54:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
> wrote:
> > People are doing some interesting work with auto-optimized ad runs that
> > we could look at adapting for next year. Given our massive amounts of
> > traffic, we could accept a pretty broad range of slogans, and let the
> > system sort out which are the most effective combinations. Money aside,
> > there's something appealing about maximizing community involvement
> > everywhere we can.
>
> Ew. Is that really what advertising and marketing have been reduced
> to? Spew out whatever random text as long as it gets the $$$? Please
> let us have some self-respect.
>
> Steve

I think self-respect is a luxury for us folks who don't have to worry about
meeting fundraising goals. All those servers and all that bandwidth isn't
free. These ads were bad, but they're improving. I think we ought to be
willing to accept some fundraising once a year if we can keep it in mind
that these fundraising drives keep corporate advertizing off Wikipedia. That
alone ought to put this in perspective.

- causa sui