[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Lesson Plan

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 13 21:49:27 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> The article you posted seemed to
> take the epistemology as the basic "lesson": if you tell me we "know"
> that, what do you mean by "know"? It's a reasonable assumption that
> being analytical about how something in an encyclopedia article can be
> described as "known" would prove educational, say in the early teenage
> years. The article was on the first poetry anthology published in
> English, and the question I would have is more about general relevance
> of content. Just one statement: the first edition had many poems
> containing religious commentary that were taken out in later editions.
> OK, fine, if you know the publication date was 1557, the year before
> Mary Tudor died, you are going to ask more and different questions, not
> just "how do we know that?" which can probably be established by putting
> two books side by side. (This is about [[Tottel's Miscellany]], by the way.)

There is an unfortunate tendency for current day editors to view the
history of past centuries in a more compressed manner than warranted.
The article in question includes the sentence: "It is generally included
with Elizabethan era literature even if it was, in fact, published in
1557, a year before Elizabeth I took the throne." That doesn't mention
Mary at all. It ignores the effect of the less than Catholic Elizabeth's
rule in comparison to that of her sister.

Ec