[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia dying?

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 7 10:56:38 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
> So, how
> do you fix the underlying problems?  You roll your sleeves up and fix
> them.  Sofixit. The underlying problem is actually that Wikipedia
> suffers from some sort of bias towards pop culture. Now where I sit, the
> people who make this complaint are the sort of people who could actually
> correct that bias, so I'm always thinking to myself, "sofixit". But
> that's me.

"Sofixit" is a good enough baseline for encouraging participation. It
happens that when COI is involved it may not be the best advice (you are
advised, I suppose, to remove only defamatory statements about your own
biography, and leave things that you'd prefer not to be there or are
somewhat inaccurate, participating on the talk page and/or using an OTRS
complaint to draw attention). I think it is worthy saying this: people
who object only to weaknesses in WP that have a direct personal impact
on themselves are not really the ideal recruits: they are natural users
of OTRS, not natural encyclopedists. Since many readers of WP fall
somewhere between classic Wikipedians, and people having a particular
beef where they are in some way vested, "sofixit" still has a definite
role to play. I wonder how best to put "sofixit thoughtfully" which is
what we really require.

Charles