[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 21:57:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Surreptitiousness <
surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Ryan Delaney wrote:
> > imes, as with fast-developing current events, there are eyewitness
> > accounts that get added to the article before they appear in printed news
> > sources. In these cases, it's better to remove the content and wait for
> the
> > verifiable source. Pure Wiki Deletion allows us to do that easily -- we
> can
> > blank the page, and then restore it when citations become available.
> >
> Pure wiki deletion would need a culture shift though, wouldn't it?  I
> mean, you'd have to get that bot turned off which reverts page blanking,
> for starters. But I'd definitely be willing to give it a go.

I think it definitely would require a massive cultural shift, and it would
be best to "feel out" the climate before diving headfirst into making
proposals.  Frankly, deletion process is so entrenched at this point that
serious reform will always be a long shot, and that's why my intuition is
that we should be prepared for this to take months- or years. There are a
lot of people who don't read this mailing list who will get hives when they
find out that someone wants to take away their precious rules. If and when
we do move forward with this, we should prepare the ground for these folks
before we go live with proposals and RFCs. I'm all ears if there are any
suggestions for a gameplan of getting this done.

- causa sui