[WikiEN-l] Is Wikipedia dying?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu Nov 5 13:29:29 UTC 2009

> This article by Evgeny Morozov, nominally a review of Andrew Lih's
> book "The Wikipedia Revolution", is worth reading:
>
> http://www.bostonreview.net/BR34.6/morozov.php
>
> -Sage

Lots of interesting observations, but made by someone who is not that
familiar with how Wikipedia works. Lih's book is good, but sometimes it's
like he wasn't there; and, of course, he wasn't, at least not when
certain decisions were made. If his book were a Wikipedia article, most
of it would be edited out because there often is no reliable source other
than his own observations and opinions.

The title of this thread is totally weird. Why would two summaries of
Wikipedia's history and problems by two individuals, one of whom is an
outside observer, and one a less than omniscient inside observer, result
in such a question? We answer the question everyday, by continuing to
create and edit new articles and tending to administrative tasks.

Fred