[WikiEN-l] fictional categories

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:43:36 UTC 2009

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Ian Woollard wrote:

>>> I agree with the statement that it should not be in that category.
>>> Essentially, because schrodinger's cat is not a cat.
>>>

>> Schrodinger's cat is a fictitious cat that is in the Schrodinger's cat
>> thought experiment.
>>
>> It is fictitious because it is not a factual cat; it is countrafactual.
>>

>>> There is no notable fiction in which
>>> Schrodinger's cat features heavily, for example.
>>>

>> It is notably in "Schroedinger's cat" thought experiment.
>>
>> That's what a thought experiment is; it's a made up story about what
>> would happen if you did X,Y,Z which is used to illuminate aspects of
>> physics.
>>

> I would be inclined toward keeping it in the category, but mostly
> because of subsequent references in works of science fiction.  In common
> usage there is a tendency to ignore the difference between "fictitious"
> and "fictional".  With reference to the original concept of
> Schrodinger's cat it is fictitious because it is imaginary; it is not
> fictional because it is not part of a work of fiction.

As things stand currently Schrödinger's cat and Schrödinger's cat in
popular culture are both categorised there.  To the person who said I
should just fix it, yeah, I could, but there's enough discussion on this
list to say I ain't got a strong consensus.  Besides which, there was an
underlying point there somewhere about the philosophy of categorisation
on Wikipedia which still, after, um six years? hasn't been resolved.