[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 4 11:07:17 UTC 2009

Ian Woollard wrote:
> Yes, but some of those really bad articles will become good articles
> if you spend enough time on them.
>
> Deletion short-circuits that.
>
> In a perfect world, with perfect AFDs it wouldn't matter. In the real
> world, with real world AFDs it does.

Yes, but (I say) the solution to that is not to keep all deleted
material forever on the site. There are clearly people who feel that
this _is_ the solution, but I'm not one of them. It may be a weakness of
AfD that deletions do occur, not because the topic is unsuitable for the
encyclopedia (which, let us not  forget, remains the main reason for
deleting an article), but because the article is not in great shape. But
the way to fix up that weakness is not permanent public storage of stuff
that really is mostly junk.

Charles