[WikiEN-l] deletionism in popular culture

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:41:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Charles Matthews <
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I wasn't saying we shouldn't discuss deletion process: I think in fact
> we should probably look at why PROD is underused. I think that having
> the deleted articles off the site (unless you're an admin) does make
> people not spend time looking at deleted material that has an intriguing
> title but isn't worth reading, an activity that would probably involve a
> great deal of duplicated effort. I simply disagree with (b) - it seems
> like a proponent's view, and the history of the relevant project page
> seems to indicate that most people lost interest in 2006 (when BLP began
> to loom).

Well, now you've given me another guess: The problem with PWD is that it's
wrong to have deleted material available for people to look at because that
would encourage them to look at deleted content rather than undeleted
material?

You're right that the original proposal failed to achieve it's goals, but
given that it is a good idea, that's no reason to abandon it. The issue here
should be whether it's a good idea or not and why.

- causa sui