[WikiEN-l] How friendly are we to Newbies? Update on the create an article as a newbie challenge

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:14:01 UTC 2009

The point of my comment is that if I have the time to do it,  the
advice is specific to the particular article.  Not suggesting looking
for sources in general, but suggesting  where they might be found,
keeping in mind the probable availability to the user. Not saying
avoid promotional phrases like this standard list, but  just which
particular phrases in that particular article  look promotional.

That said, I do have a list of boilerplate standard advice, and I will
post it. Let me give now the one I use the most often:

"See chapter 6 of [http://howwikipediaworks.com/ the free online
version] of ''How Wikipedia Works'' by Phoebe Ayers, Charles Matthews,
and Ben Yates (also available in [http://nostarch.com/howwikiworks.htm
print])

I once thought of doing a similar book myself, but i quickly saw I
could not do better.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.