[WikiEN-l] Date conditional switching templates

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:16:24 UTC 2009

Wondering how difficult to write a template (or templates) to deal with the
future tense / past event problem.
I imagine that its not too difficult for someone who knows what they are
doing, and simply involves writing a conditional switch template that shows
one text until a certain date, upon which it shows another.

 "The re-imagined Sledge Hammer! {{dateswitch|will premeire|premeired|on
June 19th, 2009|in mid-June}}, starring Paul
 Reubens as the titular character, and Abe Vigoda as his sidekick, Abe."

Naturally the "dateswitch" template takes the two values and by some genious
of technology hides the one and shows the other, switching them on the
stated date. I added the "in mid-June" just to indicate the possibility that
the date itself might not be desired visible text, but I'm not clear about
how words like "on" would affect the parsing of a timestamp.

The uncertainty of stating something "will" or "is due to" doesn't seem to
be as big an issue as the past-tense problem.

-SV