[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Jun 30 20:53:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Durova wrote:
> Is it possible to call foul at this mailing list?  This is not an abstract
> referendum about the George W. Bush administration policies; it's a
> discussion that regards the physical safety of one kidnapping victim.  To
> the extent that this victim's circumstances can be generalized, it regards
> the safety and fate of others like him.

1) There were ways to suppress the information without breaking Wikipedia
rules, such as OFFICE.  It could be argued that this still endangers lives,
but to a *much* smaller degree.
2) In most cases (and in pretty much all cases which don't involve a
well-connected person) we wouldn't suppress the information to protect
lives--we'd publish it.  The exact same arguments that are used here would
be considered speculative and lacking in proof if anyone else tried them.
3) Giving in to kidnappers like this could help one person, but endanger the
safety of more people in the future.  It's like how paying ransom can save
a person, but also makes it more likely kidnappers would kidnap more people.
What do we do if terrorists learn from this and start making other demands
on us?