[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Tue Jun 30 16:11:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Nathan<nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> In at
> least some instances, we can expect that views like those held by WJohnson
> and geni will prevail.

I'm not entirely sure what geni's position is. My impression is that
s/he is not necessarily opposed to the outcome, just the logic of
*why* we did it the way we did.

That is a very valid question in my opinion also. We need to know why
this decision was made so that we can consistently apply that logic in
the future so that there will be transparency and trust in a system
even when all the details *can't* be made public.

I would agree with other people in this thread, an OTRS or office
action would have been preferable to claiming problems with WP:RS when
they didn't exist. I agree OFFICE is a little high profile, but OTRS
isn't. We do have a system in place for saying, "there is more detail
here, but we can't publish it all now".

Not saying anyone did anything terribly bad by any means, there was a
lot of hard work involved in keeping this from being published and
posing a danger to the reporter. That doesn't mean we can't learn from
it though. :)

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion