[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:03:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Durova<nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gwern: see the Ken Hechtman example above.  In 2001 a Canadian journalist
> who was held by the Taliban did have his life endangered by news coverage.
>
> -Durova

Yes, I read it. I don't think it comes *anywhere* near proving your
sweeping proposition that this sort of censorship is justified. They
claimed they were going to execute him and were doing mock executions
before any news broke; after the news broke, they... went on doing
naughty things. Yeah. Not a very good example.
Sure, he may have 'thought' he had convinced them to let him go, but
that conviction is worth about as far as one can throw it; I remember
hearing that the Vietnamese and Iranian hostage takers liked to taunt
their prisoners in a similar manner.

--
gwern