[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 30 13:56:39 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> What is interesting though - in Western newspaper terminology, when a
> newspaper first breaks a story it is called a "scoop." They sometimes hand
> out prizes for "scoops." The kind of which Rohde himself won. Maybe if
> Pajhwok Afghan News got a Pulitzer out of this ordeal, for doing actual
> journalism, then our hundred year old concept of journalistic integrity
> might be validated.

Trouble is, not even a scoop or Pulitzer can make a source "reliable",
which is a concept more to do with minimum rather than maximum
standards.  "Verifiability from reliable sources" is a good policy, but
the good part is the verifiability. What we have had to say about
"reliable sources" has never been that impressive.  I hear all the time
on the radio that "unconfirmed reports" say something has happened;
obviously that means the source concerned is not, stand-alone, 100%
reliable as far as the BBC is concerned.  And that's how it is: rumour
and correct facts get mixed into primary news reporting.  The fact that
a rumour may check out afterwards is hardly the issue.

Anyway, if there had been several independent sources for the Rohde
business, the dam would have broken.  As it is, I think the systemic
bias around WP in favour of including high amounts of detail about
living English-speaking journalists is very noticeable.

Charles