[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:07:03 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/29 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/6/29 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
>
>>> I think actively asking nicely would be a good idea. Particularly when
>>> several people ask them. Eventually they will get the idea: FREE STOCK
>>> PHOTOS just give credit and licence.
>
>> Only if you consider CC-BY-SA to be weak copyleft.
>

> Do let us know how taking them to court for using your stuff works out.

In the UK the case would be extremely unlikely to ever reach court.
Due to the way copyright is treated by UK courts unless you are very
sure of you case it's almost always cheaper to throw say £50-100 at
the person then never use their work again.

In practice you can argue it either way.

The critical line of the license is:

"Each constituting separate and independent works in themselves"

So I suspect it would be fairly easy to defend say a random sports pic
as long as you CCed the caption but if the pic is referred to within
the article it is a bit hard to see how the article would count as an
independent work
--
geni