[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia slags off Palmerston North

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Jun 28 15:05:18 UTC 2009

> Ken Arromdee wrote:
>> It's like a BLP except that the subject isn't a person.  The same
>> problems
>> come up--ultimately, if a city can't attract professionals because of a
>> bad
>> Wikipedia article, it's still real people being hurt in real-life ways
>> by
>> us.  Just not one at a time.  It's also like BLP in that the city's
>> marginally
>> notable and probably isn't on a lot of watchlists.
>>
>> Maybe we should expand the BLP concept to include organizations,
>> cities, etc.?
>> Like BLP, it's most needed when the group is small.  There won't be
>> Biography of Living Organization problems on Coca-Cola any more than
>> there
>> will be BLP problems on Bill Gates.  But BLO problems on small cities
>> (or
>> small companies, etc.) where the Wikipedia entry is the top search
>> result,
>> can wreak havoc.
>>

> I would call it AOSO, or Articles on Organizations Still in Operation.
>

> Yours,
>
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

The arbitration committee has held that the principles of Biographies of
living persons apply to organizations:

Articles regarding ongoing enterprises

2) The principles of editing articles about ongoing enterprises are
analogous to those which govern Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons.
As applied to this matter, unsourced or poorly sourced negative material
may be removed without discussion, such removal being an exception to the
3 revert rule
Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons#Remove_unsourced_criticism. This
extension of policy is based on the proposition that any unsourced or
poorly sourced negative material is potentially harmful.

    Passed 6 to 0 at 14:24, 23 August 2006 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Hunger#Articles_regarding_ongoing_enterprises

However Wikipedia:Articles about ongoing enterprises failed to reach
consensus.

Fred Bauder