[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 25 23:10:02 UTC 2009

It's hard to imagine someone thinking "I bet no one will notice if I just
paste in this paragraph from a Wikipedia article." At the same time, some
users, perhaps even some apparently sophisticated users, may misunderstand
just what exactly is meant by "free encyclopedia." And not to his credit
directly, but certainly somewhat in his favor, it is simply not possible to
cite an article such that you refer to it exactly the way it looked on a
particular day. This is because there is no software that can use the
revision number to pull in the correct revision of templates etc.

There really isn't any excuse though. A URL suitable for use in a book can
be as short as Wikipedia.org/Article (you're redirected to the article after
5 seconds). That's really, minimal attribution - who wouldn't be able to
agree on that??:)