[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Jun 25 20:25:09 UTC 2009

2009/6/25 Joseph Reagle <reagle at mit.edu>:

>> Can we make that even more succinct? Well, we could take a leaf from
>> the DOI playbook, and set up something like:
>>
>> http://[site]/wp:en/6042007
>
> So the oldid's are globally unique (among a language subdomain)? If that's
> the case, the answer to Charles' question of how hard it is could be not
> hard at all. (Perhaps even doable with some simple Apache rewrites, but
> WP is a complex architecture.)

My understanding is that the revision id is globally unique for a
given wiki, yes. Handily, it also works for images - uploading an
image generates a new revision id for the description page, so we can
link to a specific version of the image without having to go for the
bare URL.

(When I noted [site] there, incidentally, I was thinking of something
which we manage inhouse, but operating through a new and shorter
domain name for simplicity.)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk