[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:01:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Charles Matthews <
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Joseph Reagle wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 June 2009, Charles Matthews wrote:
> >
> >> My comment was written late at night. But I don't really understand why
> >> the author thought (a) permalinks are uncool, but (b) paraphrasing this
> >> WP stuff and passing it off as my own and copyright is clearly cool. And
> >> issues this as an apology.
> >>

> > I agree, permalinks are the way to go. However, I can sympathize with the
> ugliness of permalinks and access requirements, which are standard Chicago.
> If you have more than one Web resource referenced in a note (if you don't
> want every sentence to have a footnote), it's really difficult to read:
> >
> [[TinyURL]], I would say. Do we take this into account in any advice
> "how to cite Wikipedia"?

We want people to have to rely on an external URL redirecting service to
cite us?

Online, I would go for maximum convenience of links. In print, I'd go for
readability and put citations at the back of the document or the end of the
chapters. Footnotes that might need to be read with the text, can be put at
the foot of the page or end of the chapters.

Carcharoth