[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:42:38 UTC 2009

2009/6/24 Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>:

> Well, taking a first stab at this.  Here's my letter to Wired:
> Per the recent New York Times admission that one of your editors plagiarized
> content from Wikipedia uncredited, I respectfully request credit for media
> work of mine that Wired has reproduced without credit.

Restoration is painstaking work on behalf of the cultural commons and
well worth encouraging and crediting.

It's a different question whether it can use the same big stick of
copyright that CC or GFDL can. Possibly not in the US, per Bridgeman
vs Corel. (Though any actual statement on the subject would have to be
in court.)

I would expect that asking nicely and encouraging credit of restorers
is the best that can be done at this stage, and that it strikes me as
worth doing.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd agree that not crediting a restorer
(when crediting the original) would count as "plagiarism." That's a
different kettle of fish, I think.

- d.