[WikiEN-l] Nofollow and sister projects

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Jun 24 12:28:29 UTC 2009

2009/6/24 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:
> I was trying to follow the nofollow discussion
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nofollow#Current_use_on_Wikimedia_projects).
> I see it hinges on "external links", and my question about it would be
> concerning when an interwiki link to a sister project is deemed
> "external". For context, I use many links to Wikisource pages I have
> created as references, and was wondering whether the [[:s: ***]]
> construction is read as an "external" link.

My understanding is that anything which goes to a URL - a "one-bracket
link" - gets treated as an external link and is nofollowed, regardless
of where it goes; anything created as a wikimarkup link, *including*
interwiki links, is treated as internal and escapes.

(This has caused much elaborate conspiracy theory in the past
revolving around nofollow and "favoured" Wikia links, etc)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk