[WikiEN-l] US city requires Internet account passwords from employees

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:21:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> A little silly when the article quotes someone saying that you could find
> out a person's religion.
>
> I think most of us would clearly be wary of it because you could find out
> what sort of *porn/sex* I like.  I don't care if you know my religion (I'm
> the spawn of Satan.)
>
> I mean just imagine if some insider dropped images of the city manager
> dressed up like a sheep.
>
> Will Johnson

It's a reference to protected information; employers are prohibited from
considering race, religion, sex, age, etc. To ensure they don't, they aren't
allowed to solicit such information. I think the main problem was privacy,
but from  the potential access to information that an employer may not
legally use is also problematic.