[WikiEN-l] Ramifications to wikipedians of unmasking of police blogger?

Andrew Turvey andrewrturvey at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:57:02 UTC 2009

----- "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com>
>
> Is anonymity important to many Wikipedia contributors? I had sort of
> assumed we provided anonymity as a sort of courtesy, not as any real
> right.

I get the impression many wikipedia editors think anonymity is important. However, I also think it's on the way out, regardless of what people might want.

The internet in general is getting far more interlinked with the "real world". Social networking sites are built around real names; people have been sued for slanderous comments on bulletin boards. And Wikipedia itself has been hit by a number of anonymous scandals including Essjay and SamBlacketer.

Wikipedia is becoming more open to real names - particularly for trusted users - and real names are required for involvement in chapters. That's the way the wind is blowing and I'm not sure it makes sense to try to push against it.

Andrew