[WikiEN-l] Ramifications to wikipedians of unmasking of police blogger?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:58:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM, AGK<wikiagk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> One wonders what ramifications the High Court's decision in the "Night Jack"
> case has for UK wikipedians. Should we approach pseudonymous editing with a
> different perspective, now that the court has confirmed itself as unwilling
> to uphold the anonymity of online contributors?

Is anonymity important to many Wikipedia contributors? I had sort of
assumed we provided anonymity as a sort of courtesy, not as any real
right.

I'm trying to think through cases where it would be embarrassing for
it to be known that Johnny Smith had edited some particularly article
in some way. Apart from if the article itself was an embarrassing
subject (sexual, unpopular politics...) I can't think of anything.

Steve