[WikiEN-l] US city requires Internet account passwords from employees

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:12:59 UTC 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/06/19/us/AP-US-Internet-Background-Checks.html

New employees, and perhaps current ones (?), are being asked to provide
details of all web-based accounts, including forums and social networking
sites. Details are meant to include usernames and passwords. Maybe we should
have a user category of "Public employees in Bozeman, Montana" just in
case... I doubt this turns into a new wave of intrusiveness, at least in the
near future, but its disturbing even as an isolated case. For the legal
types, any caselaw on whether employers (public or private) can demand this
sort of information without violating the "implied right to privacy"?

Nathan