[WikiEN-l] Image reuse

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:21:40 UTC 2009

A previous post inspired me to use tineye.com to see if any of my
photos uploaded to Wikipedia have been reused anywhere. It's
interesting to see that some have!

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2007/09/25/rbs-group-bulks-up-abn-amro-shareholding/

Yes, a Wall Street Journal blog used my (featured) image of Luna Park
in Melbourne. Metaphorically...

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/multimedia/2008/06/gallery_roller_coasters?slide=2&slideView=10
Wired carefully credits 7 out of the 8 photos in its half-arsed
"Collest roller coasters" collection. Guess which one misses out?

http://www.spoki.lv/foto-izlases/Pasi-briesmigakie-kalnini-pasaule/8989
Some latvian linkspam site probably earned a couple of cents from it...

http://peccataminuta.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/mont-saint-michele/
The second image from the top (yes, the terrible one with the white
sky) is surprisingly popular...god knows why.

http://celticfestival.ie/programme_welsh.php
The church illustrating "Dydd Iau Hydref 4" is from
[[Image:Church_in_Kilkenny.jpg]] - I didn't even know which church it
was when I uploaded it :) And now the locals are using the image for
their own tourism site...cool!

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http://www.tuning.sk/dokument-Uplynuly-tyzden-az-1-323-sita-93176&sl=sk&tl=en&history_state0=
Heh, they're using my photo of a truck crash near Melbourne University
to illustrate a story about car accidents in Bratislava...

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_995337_Real_Crashes_7.htm
Oh and look, someone's made it the first image in a really crappy
slideshow of vehicle accidents. How lovely.

But the most popular image of all?
http://tineye.com/search/7b34c1bae7eba7ca3d2cf92816047c937add7399

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. I do wish we were using a
much better image repository than Commons.

Steve