[WikiEN-l] I love SEOs

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Jun 17 15:39:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Sage Ross wrote:
> >> Top of post: "Personally I’m not a fan of Wikipedia..."
> >> Later in post: "...in chess we call this [zugzwang]..." (note link to
> >> Wikipedia)
> >> Even our critics can't help but use our services.
> > Well spotted! That made my day.
> I guess he's still keeping true to his SEO principles though: it's a
> nofollow link.

zugzwang isn't about politics or religion or pseudoscience, it's not a
biography of a living person, it generally doesn't have any controversy over
it, it isn't a popular culture topic (I suppose you could call chess popular
culture if you wanted to stretch it, but if so, then it still doesn't have
the problems of most popular culture topics).  It certainly isn't an episode
or character, and it doesn't need a spoiler warning.

In other words, it's entirely sensible for him to distrust Wikipedia in
general, yet for none of the reasons for his distrust to apply in the
particular case where he actually uses Wikipedia.

Your glee is misplaced.