[WikiEN-l] An interesting book

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:57:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Andrew Gray<shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> "The Future of Reputation: gossip, rumour and privacy on the internet"
>
> http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/dsolove/Future-of-Reputation/
>
> Chapter 6 has a few pages on the Siegenthaler incident (as well as
> Wikipedia more generally), but a lot of the second part of the book
> deals in more general terms with thorny topics we regularly encounter
> and find it hard to draw firm rules on:
>
> * how to respond to requests to remove material
> * the ethical issues of unrestrained publication;
> * the dilemmas of defining whether information is public or private,
> and how to deal with that enormous fuzzy grey middle ground between
> them.
>
> May well be of some interest to many of you.

Thanks!  It's definitely a relevant issue in terms of the evolving
public/private landscape.  (The Twitterscape has been buzzing about
similar issues today, with insightful bits from danah boyd and Clay
Shirky.  "Habermas FTW".)

I'm adding this book to the list at the Signpost Review desk.  If
anyone wants to review it for the community, please sign up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/Newsroom/Review_desk

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)